As we continue to monitor the ongoing impacts of COVID-19, we are taking every precaution to ensure the health and safety of our staff and clients. While our office continues to remain open, we may be working remotely at times and/or have varied hours of operation. We do encourage meetings by phone or video conferencing where possible. However, for those who prefer, we are accepting in-person appointments at our office again, but using strict safety protocols.
If you have been exposed to a person who has been positively identified as having – or is suspected to have COVID-19, if you or a member of your household have been travelling in the last 14 days anywhere outside of the Province of Ontario or, if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, we would ask that you not attend our office and instead contact us to make alternative arrangements.

We continue to do our part to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

For more information contact us today at 905-669-7577.

Alternatives to Court​

Table of Contents

Saving on Legal Fees

Some Court alternatives include Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Collaborative Family Law.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

This terms primarily refers to Mediation and/or Arbitration where a neutral third party (usually a senior lawyer or retired judge who is qualified in ADR) is hired by the parties to help resolve some or all issues in their case out of court.

In mediation, the mediator tries to facilitate a settlement, but he/she cannot make decisions for the parties. The parties must still agree on things, and if they do not, they have not settled the issue. The mediator can give his/her opinion on each of the issues and/or the strengths and weaknesses of each party’s position and opine on the costs of litigation, which may be persuasive. The mediation process is informal, though each side usually prepares a Brief for the mediator to review before the mediation regarding the issues and each party’s position.

In arbitration, the process is more formal and similar to a private court hearing where there are opening statements, witnesses, etc. Also, the arbitrator is empowered to make a final decision that is binding on the parties whether they agree or not. A court reporter usually records the proceeding in case the parties agree there is a right to appeal. More preparation is required compared to mediation, and the costs may be higher than mediation, but there will be a resolution reached, and usually faster than if the process went to a court trial.

Collaborative Family Law

In this process, the parties, their lawyers, and other professionals (e.g. an accountant, parenting coordinator, etc.) work together to reach an agreement on all issues, thereby avoiding court. A collaborative agreement is usually signed by the parties outlining their responsibilities and terms of the process. This method is often successful in resolving the parties’ issues, but not always, in which case the parties’ collaborative law family lawyer are precluded from representing the parties in the court process that may ensue.

Chat with Zeidman Family Law